Thailand cave rescue Four boys freed pictured as divers prepare to resume treacherous mission after overnight rains

The first four boys rescued from a cave in Thailand have been identified, according to reports.

Divers are today preparing to resume the treacherous mission to rescue the remaining nine youngsters and their football coach still trapped in the Thai cave.

On Saturday the first four boys were rescued from the flooded Thai cave where they have been trapped for two weeks.

Up to 10 British specialists were involved in the six-hour bid to bring the exhausted lads back up to dry land.

The Thai government has today said the same divers who rescued to the first four will conduct the next operation as they know the conditions inside the cave.

However Thailand’s Meteorological Department said there was a 60% chance of rain Monday with thunderstorms forecast throughout the week.

Interior minister Anupong Paojinda said officials were meeting on Monday morning about the next stage of the operation and how to extract the remaining nine people from the cave in the north of the country.

The identities of the four boys rescued this weekend, said to be in good health, has been revealed.

The first boy out was Monhkhol Boonpiam, 13, known as Mark. The second boy was Prajak Sutham, known as Note.

The third was Nattawoot Thakamsai, a 14-year-old asthma sufferer – whose parents have already lost a baby daughter to cancer.

The last one out – so far – is Pipat Bodhu, 15, aka Nick, who was not even in the team but came along as a friend of the goalkeeper.

Eight more youngsters and their coach, 25, remain stranded two-and-a-half miles inside the waterlogged caves.

The high-risk operation at the Tham Luang caves paused overnight as rescuers recovered and oxygen tanks were replenished along the route. It will resume today.

Experts warned the mission could take four days to complete.

The first boys had to dive more than half a mile through flooded tunnels to safety.

With a few days’ diving training, they squeezed through a terrifying underwater gap barely 38cm wide. Oxygen tanks must be removed to pass.

Torchlight only affords visibility up to three feet in the murky waters.

Instead, the boys must feel their way along guide ropes which have been tethered the entire length of the cave journey.

They were fitted with full-face diving masks, which are harder to dislodge underwater than a traditional respirator, and each one was tethered to two divers, who will carry air tanks for them.

Their Wild Boars teammates must make the same treacherous trip to daylight, which could take eight gruelling hours depending on conditions.

Though the first mission was a success, it could easily have ended in catastrophe for the inexperienced swimmers.

Elite diver Saman Kunan, 38, a former Thai navy SEAL, died trying to escape the maze of flooded tunnels last week.

News Source MirrorNews

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

We use cookies to personalize your user experience and to study how our website is being used. Learn More About Cookies Okay I Got It