Steven Davies’ century floors Yorkshire and guides Surrey to One-Day Cup final


Stuart Meaker took three wickets in nine balls to tear through Yorkshire and send Surrey to the Royal London One-Day Cup final for the second year running.

A century by Steven Davies and 90 from Ben Foakes left the hosts chasing 256 at Headingleyon Sunday and, although they recovered well after Meaker’s intervention, thanks to a brave 68 from Tim Bresnan, they were bowled out for 236 to lose by 19 runs.

Surrey now have the chance to avenge their Lord’s defeat by Gloucestershire last season but for Yorkshire it was the second consecutive year that they have stumbled at the last-four stage and the 17th List A semi-final of 20 they have lost since 1979.

When it has mattered we haven’t been good enough, said Alex Lees, Yorkshire’s captain. I thought it was a gettable target. Tim Bresnan has won us three or four games single-handedly and has been exceptional both with bat and ball. If we look back it will have been a positive season but, let’s be honest, you don’t want to lose two semi-finals.

Yorkshire lost Adam Lyth to Jade Dernbach in the third over and Lees was bowled for 26 playing an expansive shot to the Surrey captain, Gareth Batty.

At 74 for two Yorkshire were still handily placed until Meaker began his lethal burst. Jonny Bairstow drove to Dominic Sibley at midwicket, Gary Ballance was caught behind and Jack Leaning dragged on.

The slide to 81 for five was halted by Bresnan and the 20-year-old all-rounder Matthew Waite, who enjoyed a fine match with three wickets and 38 runs in a stand of 80. Waite fell to Sam Curran when a leading edge picked out Batty at mid-on but Bresnan and Will Rhodes kept home hopes alive with a stand of 46 before Rhodes hesitated over a single and was beaten by Tom Curran’s direct hit. Tom Curran sent back Azeem Rafiq and Steven Patterson and the match ended when Bresnan drove Dernbach to Sibley at long-off.

Earlier Surrey had found themselves at eight for two but the early setbacks did not unsettle Davies, whose 104 followed Championship scores of 117, 52 and 56 against Yorkshire this season.

Jack Brooks struck in the day’s second over as Sibley shaped to play to leg but missed and was given lbw. Kumar Sangakkara was quick off the mark, cutting Bresnan for four, but drove loosely to Rafiq in the covers later in the over.

Davies, the elegant left-hander, took boundaries off consecutive balls from Brooks as he hit 34 of the first 48 runs scored. Waite’s first delivery was flicked by Rory Burns to long-leg, where Patterson held a good catch, and three balls later Davies, on 43, drove back to Waite, who spilled a difficult return chance. Davies made the most of his life as he and Foakes put on 130 to claw the visitors to a respectable total.

Rafiq was driven for six by Davies while Foakes moved smartly to his fifty from 51 balls. Davies, meanwhile, reached his century off 112 but four runs later he hit a low full toss from Waite straight to Rhodes on the midwicket boundary.

Surrey lost much of their momentum late on, Sam Curran going for 16 when he was bowled by Waite. Foakes struck Bresnan high over long-on for six but was denied a century when a ramp shot went wrong before the debutant Ollie Pope was run out for 20.

In the final Surrey will face Warwickshire or Somerset, who meet at Edgbaston on Monday.

News Source TheGuardianNews

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

We use cookies to personalize your user experience and to study how our website is being used. Learn More About Cookies Okay I Got It