Premier League horror as fan DIES during match after suffering suspected heart attack watching his side


An Everton fan has died while watching his side play after suffering a suspected heart attack during the match.

The tragic fan, 51, was watching Everton take on Stoke City at Goodison Park this afternoon when he was suddenly taken ill.

Police and paramedics raced to help the man – along with an off-duty doctor – and immediately began frantic efforts to save his life at around 4.15pm.

He was later taken to Aintree Hospital where he died.

ECHO reporter at the match Greg O’Keeffe described how the man appeared to be receiving CPR in the Park Road stand as the game against Stoke City continued.

He also said a stretcher and what could be a defibrillator machine were brought up the steps to the back of the stand where the fan was being treated.

In the ECHO liveblog of the game, Greg O’Keeffe reported how fans in the Park End stand were applauding now as the paramedics carry the fan away on a stretcher. Almost the whole stand are standing and applauding.

Others tweeted that both Everton and Stoke City fans stood to applaud those who had tried to save the man.

A spokeswoman for Merseyside Police said: “We can confirm that a 51-year-old man has died after suffering what’s believed to be a heart attack at the Everton game today.

The man, who was a spectator in the Park Road stand, became unwell just after 4.15pm.

Officers, an off duty doctor and paramedics performed CPR on the man prior to the arrival of an ambulance.

He was then taken to the Aintree Hospital, where he died a short while later. His family have been informed.

A spokesman for the club confirmed paramedics had attended a fan in the ground, who was subsequently taken to hospital.

After news of his death was announced, the club added: “Everton is deeply saddened to report that the 51-year-old fan taken ill during today’s game against Stoke City has passed away in hospital.

“The thoughts and prayers of everybody at the football club are with his family and friends.

“The fan, who was seated in the Sir Philip Carter Park Stand for the game, became unwell just after 4.15pm. Police officers, an off duty doctor and paramedics performed CPR on the supporter prior to the arrival of an ambulance.

“He was taken to Aintree Hospital where he passed away a short time later.

“The Club will continue to provide all the support possible to the family.”

A North West Ambulance Service spokeswoman confirmed they had attended an incident at the ground. She said: We got a call. A male was taken to Aintree University Hospital.

News Source MirrorNews

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

We use cookies to personalize your user experience and to study how our website is being used. Learn More About Cookies Okay I Got It