Epilepsy sufferer Billy Caldwell will be allowed to use medicinal cannabis after Northern Ireland’s Department of Health issued a temporary licence.
The 12-year-old flew into Belfast Airport with his mother Charlotte on Thursday after spending three weeks at London’s Chelsea and Westminster Hospital to treat his life-threatening seizures.
The news comes as his mother pleaded with Northern Irish authorities to let Billy, who suffers from autism, be given the vital treatment at home without being forced to endure gruelling twice-daily trips to hospital.
Billy and Charlotte will still have to travel the 70 miles from their home in Castlederg to Belfast for the child to receive his medication twice a day, Belfast Live reports.
Charlotte said There are practical ways that this can happen. Perhaps by a district nurse administering Billy’s medicinal cannabis in the comfort of his own home.
I am urging everyone responsible to consider all options available.
The alternative is to enact a policy that amounts to nothing less than child abuse and child cruelty at the highest level against my little boy.
As it stands we have to either move to Belfast or make two four hour trips a day from our home in Castlederg.
But we have gone into battle twice before and we have won, we are ready for the next round.
I am not ever going to give up on my little boy.
A DOH spokesman said The Department of Health yesterday received an emergency licence application from Belfast Trust clinicians regarding medicinal cannabis use for Billy Caldwell.
An emergency licence has today been issued by the Department, replicating the licence issued last month by the Home Office for treatment at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in London.
We have also been in discussions with the Home Office to finalise arrangements for the immediate transportation of Billy’s medicine from London to the Belfast Trust.
The permission from the Health Department is simply an agreement between the authorities that Charlotte can carry the medical cannabis into Northern Ireland and hold it in a secure place in her home.
A source told Belfast Live A series of calls and emails to the department from Charlotte herself, from the campaign team, from her MP Orflaith Begley and the medical team at the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, all went unanswered for three days.
In desperation Charlotte made a public statement saying her return home with Billy was being blocked by the Department of Health and still, but there was no response.
News Source MirrorNews